Dental cleanings and exams are two important components of maintaining good oral health. Understanding the difference between these procedures can help individuals take a proactive approach to their oral health and prevent dental issues before they become more serious. At Washington Court House Dental in Washington Court House, Ohio, we want your oral health to be our top priority.
What is a Dental Cleaning?
Routine dental cleanings are the key to a healthy smile. By taking care of any potential problems proactively, you’ll be able to keep that beautiful smile for the long term. Regular cleanings (at least twice a year) will help prevent cavities and gum disease from getting started.
- Clean your teeth and gum line using special scaling tools to remove sticky plaque or tartar deposits.
- Polish your teeth using gritty toothpaste coupled with a high-powered electric toothbrush.
- Perform an expert flossing followed by a thorough rinse to remove the last remnants of any plaque or tartar.
- Discuss your oral cleaning habits with you and possibly offer suggestions for how to brush better and floss.
You’ll leave with a brighter, whiter smile because even the surface stains caused by coffee, red wine, berries, and other staining agents will be gone.
What Is a Dental Exam?
During a dental exam, Dr. Pappas or a dental hygienist will closely examine your mouth (including your teeth, gums, and tongue) along with your jaws, throat, and neck for any signs of problems such as gum disease, tooth decay, or oral cancers. We will also perform X-rays to look for problems inside your teeth or below the gum line that aren’t visible to the naked eye.
We’ll then develop a personalized treatment plan to address any issues we may have found. We aim to help you maintain a beautiful, healthy smile forever.
What Are the Main Differences Between a Cleaning and an Exam?
Even though they are different services, many people combine routine cleanings and dental exams into one appointment because it’s convenient. However, it’s important to understand the differences between the two services.
Both dental cleanings and dental exams are preventative dental health services that seek to address any minor issues before they become major problems. Teeth cleanings take care of the surface of your teeth, while an oral exam looks deeper in search of any underlying issues.
By combining the two, we can head off major problems such as tooth decay, gum disease, bone loss, and tumors of the neck, face, lips, tongue, or throat. We can also determine whether any existing fillings, crowns, or other restorative work might need repairs or replacement.
Maintaining good dental hygiene and oral health is important to the health of your entire body. Let us help with that.
What Preventive Dental Services Are Offered at Washington Court House Dental?
At Washington Court House Dental, we offer preventative dental services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and your smile bright and beautiful.
- Dental Cleanings: To prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and halitosis
- Dental Exams: To ensure the preservation of healthy teeth and gums
- Fluoride Treatments: Strengthen your teeth and inhibit the growth of harmful oral bacteria
- Dental Sealants: To protect the vulnerable surfaces of your molars from decay-causing bacteria and acids
- Oral Cancer Screenings: Detect cancers of the neck, jaw, face, cheeks, lips, gums, tongue, hard and soft palate, salivary glands, throat, and tonsils.
Regular Appointments Will Keep Your Teeth Healthy
Professional dental cleanings and comprehensive exams are essential for maintaining oral hygiene and health. The best way to prevent tooth loss, gum infections, plaque buildup, and other issues is to schedule routine cleanings and exams. By coming to our dental office in Washington Court House, Ohio, you’re investing in the health of your teeth and mouth that will pay off with strong, healthy teeth and a beautiful smile for the rest of your life. So call and schedule an appointment today.