Visiting the dentist regularly is an important step in keeping your teeth and mouth healthy, but how often is often enough? Although there are general guidelines available that can give you an idea of how frequently you should see a dentist, it is important to know that everyone is different. A typical schedule may not always be the best choice for your unique needs. At Washington Court House Dental, we understand how important it is to keep up with your oral health.
How Often Should People Visit the Dentist?
As a general rule of thumb, most people should visit the dentist once every six months. However, oral healthcare is a personal experience, and some people may need to see a dentist more frequently than others. If you are unusually prone to cavities, gum disease, or other concerns, your dentist may recommend more frequent cleanings to manage problems better before they become more serious.
Why Is It Important to Visit the Dentist Regularly?
Here are four important reasons to keep your dental appointments on schedule:
- Prevention of Oral Health Issues: Regular cleanings play an essential role in lowering your likelihood of developing most types of oral health issues in the first place. Professional cleanings typically produce much more effective results than what you can get on your own with an average toothbrush and other at-home products.
- Early Detection: Oral health issues are often easier to treat when signs of potential problems are detected early. Smaller cavities, less-advanced gum disease, and other oral health problems can often be managed with treatment options that are less complex than what you might need if they go unnoticed for a year or longer.
- Treatment: Many oral health issues are relatively easy to treat once they are discovered. Being diligent about treating issues that occur as soon as you can go a long way toward keeping them from leading to more serious problems.
- Overall Health Maintenance: Your oral health can be linked to problems with other body parts, such as your heart and lungs. This means that regular visits to the dentist can be an important aspect of maintaining your overall health, not just your mouth.
What to Expect at Your Dental Checkup
Dental checkups can look different depending on your unique needs and oral health history, but there are several standard components of most basic adult dental appointments. Your next dental appointment will likely include the following:
- Cleaning and polishing your teeth with specialized tools that are designed to scrape off plaque without damaging your enamel
- Oral cancer screening is often visual, but more complex tests may be needed if your risk is particularly high.
- Cavity detection is often with x-rays, but your dentist can also find larger cavities by looking at your teeth.
- X-rays to detect cavities, root or jaw problems, and other issues that cannot be seen
- Gumline inspection to look for signs of gum disease.
Confirming your appointment in advance, arriving on time, and ensuring you have any documents or other important information can help your appointment go more smoothly. Brushing, flossing, and rinsing your mouth before arriving is both respectful and an important step in making your cleaning as efficient as possible.
Choose Washington Court House Dental for All Your Dental Needs
At Washington Court House Dental, we know that knowing when to go to the dentist and remembering to go frequently enough is not always easy. Your life may be busy, but your oral health is worth it, and our team can help you determine an oral healthcare schedule that is a good fit for you. Contact us today to learn more about what makes us a top choice among patients in the Washington Court House, OH, area or to schedule an appointment!