Dentistry For Kids
Dentistry for Children in Washington Court House, OH
Children should see the dentist regularly to ensure their teeth and gums stay healthy. At Washington Court House Dental, we’re committed to providing the highest quality in kids’ dental care through clinical excellence, genuine concern, and clear communication. Our Washington Court House, OH practice is kid-friendly, so you can rest assured that your little ones will be well taken care of.
When Should Kids Start Seeing A Dentist?
We recommend that you make an appointment for your child to see a dentist as soon as their first tooth comes in and no later than the first birthday.
How Often Should Your Child Visit the Dentist?
In general, kids should visit the dentist at least once every six months. Regular 6-month checkups allow us to determine if your child’s brushing habits are effective, if they are brushing too hard or not enough, and if cavities are present. Depending on your child’s oral health, we may recommend more frequent visits.
Benefits of Dentistry for Children
Regularly visiting the dentist from a young age has many benefits:
- Prevent tooth decay: Tooth decay is the most common chronic disease among children in the United States despite being preventable with good habits and regular dental checkups. Regular checkups allow us to detect problems early, when they’re most treatable, and provide preventive oral care that reduces the risk of cavities, gum disease, and other oral health issues.
- Create healthy habits: the best way to ensure your children enjoy a lifetime of good oral health is by establishing good oral hygiene habits from a young age. When you come in for a dental visit, we teach your child how to brush their teeth and why it’s essential.
- Reduces dental anxiety: Did you know that more than 60% of adults have anxiety about going to the dentist? By coming in for regular dental visits, your child can become accustomed to the dentist’s office and the procedures that happen there. Positive experiences at the office early can help prevent them from having fear and anxiety around the dentist as they grow.
What Happens At Your Children’s Dentist Appointment?
What happens during a dental exam for kids might vary depending on the child’s age and treatment needs, but typically, you can expect the following:
- Professional teeth cleaning: While regular brushing and flossing help remove food debris, it doesn’t eliminate plaque buildup. During in-office teeth cleanings, your kid’s dentist removes any plaque and tartar on the surfaces of teeth and between teeth.
- X-rays and exam: Our dentist will also examine your child’s mouth for signs of gum disease or cavities. We also evaluate your child’s bite and look for sores or bumps on your child’s tongue, inside the cheeks, and on the roof of the mouth. Additionally, we use X-rays to see detailed images of specific sections of your child’s mouth. This helps diagnose problems not visible during a visual dental exam, such as hard-to-see cavities or impacted teeth. X-rays aren’t usually needed at every visit unless your child has a high risk of disease. Radiation exposure from dental X-rays is very low, especially with digital X-rays — but talk to your kid’s dentist, if you’re concerned.
- Professional fluoride treatment and sealants: After evaluating your child’s oral health, we may recommend additional treatments such as fluoride or dental sealants. Fluoride helps strengthen your child’s teeth and prevent cavities. Sealants are a thin coating that helps keep acid, bacteria, and food particles out of teeth surfaces, protecting them against cavities.
Preparing for Your Kid’s Dentist Visit
A trip to the dentist can be scary for people of any age, but especially young children who aren’t sure what to expect. The best way to prepare for your kid’s dentist visit is by maintaining a positive attitude. Children can often pick up on your emotions, so if you feel anxious about the visit, your child might as well.
Use positive language and avoid using words such as “pain,” “shot,” or “hurt.” Let them know that visiting the dentist is essential to keeping the teeth and gums healthy. Encourage your child to share worries about visiting the dentist or having a dental exam.
Also, remember Dr. Michael Pappas, DDS, and the exceptional dental team at Washington Court House Dental are trained to work with children and can expertly handle their fears and anxiety. We excel at putting children at ease during treatment.
Kids Dental Care Cost
Generally, kids’ dental care is covered by insurance. Most plans cover preventive services like cleanings and X-rays. Many also cover fillings and other types of dental care. Contact your insurance company for more information on your coverage.
Schedule Your Kid’s Dental Appointment Today!
Washington Court House Dental provides dentistry for children rooted in establishing healthy dental habits and trusting patient-dentist relationships for children at a young age. Our staff is not only friendly and fun-loving but also experienced, providing skilled service that easily puts children at ease, ensuring they have a positive experience during each visit. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and get your child started on the road to happy teeth and healthy oral hygiene habits!