Dentures can benefit your appearance and oral health if you’ve lost your natural teeth due to gum disease, tooth decay, or injury.
Dentures are artificial teeth and gums formed from impressions of your mouth to replace lost or removed natural teeth. Most people need tooth replacement because they have lost their teeth to decay or injury and have experienced difficulty with eating, chewing, or even speaking as a result.
Types of Dentures
At Washington Court House Dental, we offer full and partial dentures.
- Full dentures: These replace a complete set of missing teeth and are held in the mouth by forming a seal with the gums.
- Partial dentures: Used when a patient still has some natural teeth, such as when one or more teeth remain in the upper and lower jaw. Partial dentures are held in the mouth using clasps and rests carefully fitted around the natural teeth.
- Implant-retained dentures: Dentures can also be held in place by attaching to dental implants surgically placed in the jaw bone to provide additional stability.
Regardless of what kind of dentures you may need, they will be custom-designed to fit your mouth and visually match your existing teeth.
How Do Dentures Work
At Washington Court House Dental, we customize dentures to fit your mouth perfectly. If your dentist has determined conventional dentures are best for you, here is the process:
- Exam: The first step is for our team to examine your mouth and teeth to determine the state of your oral health. During this examination, one of our doctors will search for any signs of infection, tooth decay, previous dental work that can hinder the denture process and search for any other teeth that may need removal before placing the dentures.
- Impressions: Once we determine that you’re a good candidate for dentures, we’ll take impressions of your mouth and will then send them to a dental lab that will build your custom dentures to the specifications.
- Fitting: After your dentures are fabricated, you will come in for a fitting. We’ll make any adjustments necessary to ensure your new dentures fit comfortably.
Benefits of Dentures
Replacing your missing teeth with dentures comes with several benefits, including:
- Improve your smile: Missing teeth can ruin the aesthetics of a smile. If you feel self-conscious about opening up your mouth, tooth replacement can help you regain confidence in your appearance.
- Dentures support facial features: When you lose your teeth, facial muscles can sag, making you look older. Dentures can help fill out the appearance of your face and profile.
- Comfortable: Modern dentures are designed to be comfortable and perform the functions of natural teeth. It may take a few dentist visits to get the correct fit, but it is a small price to pay for renewed confidence in chewing and talking.
- Cost-effective: The placement of dentures is a cost-effective solution compared with other procedures like bridges or dental implants.
- Easy to clean: Since dentures are removable, you can maintain a thorough oral hygiene routine with minimal effort. Simply use a soft-bristle toothbrush and special denture cleaner to keep them clean and free from plaque and bacteria that could lead to gum disease.
Can Dentures Look Normal?
Yes! Dentures can look natural. At Washington Court House Dental, we custom-design your dentures to look like your natural teeth.
Do Dentures Feel Normal?
New dentures may feel awkward for a few weeks until you become accustomed to them. Conventional dentures may feel loose while the muscles of your cheek and tongue learn to keep them in place. Since implant-retained dentures are stabilized, you’ll get used to them quicker, but it is not unusual to experience minor irritation or soreness. As your mouth becomes accustomed to the dentures, these problems should go away.
Cost of Dentures
Denture fees vary widely based on many factors, including the complexity of your particular treatment and the time required to accomplish the treatment. Dental insurance typically covers the cost of dentures.
Restore Your Smile with Dentures from Washington Court House Dental Today!
Washington Court House Dental offers affordable dentures in Washington Court House, OH. Our goal is to help our patients restore their smiles and improve their oral health. If you or someone you know might need them, regardless of your age, don’t hesitate to contact us today to request an appointment.