Professional Teeth Whitening
Are you short on time and need a quick, dramatic smile makeover? Professional teeth whitening at Washington Courthouse Dental is an excellent solution. Unlike at-home teeth whitening kits that incorporate low-dose bleaching agents, in-office teeth whitening takes place under carefully monitored conditions by our experienced dentists.
What Causes Teeth Staining and Discoloration?
Teeth stains have many causes, but the most common ones include:
- Food & Drink: Coffee, tea, dark sodas, red wine, and even a few fruits and vegetables are proven causes of discolored teeth.
- Tobacco use: Both cigarettes and chewing tobacco can contribute to discolored teeth.
- Poor oral Care: Poor dental hygiene, such as inadequate brushing or flossing, can lead to tooth discoloration.
- Aging: Over time, the teeth darken with a yellow, brown, green, or grey cast (due to heredity or eating habits).
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
Some benefits of having your teeth whitened at Washington Courthouse Dental include:
- Enhances your smile
- Improves appearance
- Eliminates discoloration
- Reverses the effects of aging
Professional Teeth Whitening Process
At Washington Court House Dental, our teeth whitening process involves the following:
- Initial exam: Your professional teeth whitening procedure starts with a thorough exam by one of our dentists. Not everyone is a good candidate for teeth whitening. For example, if you have large fillings or crowns (caps) on your front teeth, the whitening gel will change the color of your natural teeth but not your dental restorations. Teeth whitening also may not be the best solution for you if you have tooth and gum sensitivity.
- Prepping the teeth: Once we determine that you’re a good candidate for teeth whitening, we’ll clean your teeth to clear away any plaque or food particles.
- Coating and curing: A cheek retractor is inserted into the mouth to expose the teeth before applying the bleaching gel. We’ll then paint a protectant onto the gum tissue to prevent irritation caused by the bleaching gel. Next, the teeth bleaching gel is applied to your teeth and kept on for 15 to 30 minutes. A special LED light is used to speed up the oxidation process. Between gel applications, the teeth are checked to see how well they have whitened and whether another round is needed. We may recommend a follow-up teeth whitening appointment if a satisfactory level of whitening hasn’t been achieved.
How Long Does a Teeth Whitening Procedure Take?
The average tooth whitening procedure takes 30 to 90 minutes. Depending on the amount of lightening your smile needs, it may take several sessions before you reach your desired shade.
How to Care for Your Teeth After Whitening
Following a teeth whitening procedure, the first 48 hours are the most crucial because your teeth are more prone to blemishes at this time. If you want the best results and prolong your teeth whitening treatment, you must avoid eating deep-colored meals and using tobacco. Items to avoid include wine, tea, coffee, cherries, chocolate, beets, all kinds of berries, and dark sauces.
Some tips for ongoing care include:
- Brush your teeth with water or white toothpaste immediately after eating or drinking anything that stains
- Follow a good daily oral routine, including brushing, flossing, and mouthwash every morning and night
- Avoid acidic foods or drinks, such as soda, pickles, lemons, pickles, and limes
- Consider periodic whitening touch-ups for best results if you smoke or drink a lot of dark beverages
Teeth Whitening Cost
The cost of teeth whitening varies depending on the treatment you need, but you can expect to pay around $450 to $1,000.
Schedule Your Teeth Whitening Appointment Today and Transform Your Smile!
At Washington Courthouse Dental, our in-office teeth whitening treatment is safe, quick, effective, comfortable, and affordable. If you’re uncomfortable with your smile and feel your confidence would benefit from having a brighter, whiter smile, contact us today to schedule your teeth whitening appointment, and let us transform your smile!